Friends of the Library
What Do the Friends Do?
- Raise funds for needs beyond the scope of the Library's budget.
- Organize 3 annual used book sales (Spring, Summer and Fall).
- Host a Speaker Series covering topics of interest to local residents.
- Host a stall at the Mountain Market in August.
Through their fundraising efforts, the Friends have raised over $238,000 in the past 10 years to help with additional financial support for the Library. These funds are used to purchase items such as furniture and shelving and to enhance the Library's collection and programs. Look for a special bookplate identifying books, CDs, and DVDs purchased with funds from the Friends of the Library.
Who Can Be a Friend?
Anyone with an interest in a strong and vibrant Canmore Library.
What are the Benefits of Membership?
You will have the personal satisfaction of knowing that you're making a difference in your Library. You can participate in Friends activities and will be notified of upcoming meetings and events. Friends are admitted to the book sales on Friday evenings at 6:00pm, one hour before the general public.
How Can You Join?
Memberships are available at the Canmore Library year round or at the book sales for just $5 per person or $10 per family. The membership year is September 1st to August 31st.
How Can You Help?
We welcome your donations!
Friends of the Canmore Library Society is a charity registered with Canada Revenue Agency. As such, we can issue official receipts for income tax purposes. Donations by cheque or cash can be dropped off at the Library, addressed to the Friends, or mailed to:
Friends of the Canmore Library Society
Unit 101, 700 Railway Avenue
Canmore, AB T1W 1P4
- Make a donation via ATBcares
- Return your bottles to the depot and ask for the Friends to be credited with your refund.
- Return your refundable beverage containers to the Canmore Bottle Depot and ask that Friends of the Library be credited with your refund. Alternatively, you can simply drop bottles and cans in our bright blue bins at the Town’s Boulder Depot at 115 Boulder Crescent. Thanks to the Canmore Bottle Depot and ABCRC (Alberta Beverage Container Recycling Corporation), 100% of the proceeds from our bins support the Friends of Canmore Library. Since the new secure bins were installed in February 2019, we’ve averaged more than $400 per month!